Staying hydrated is very important for your health. The average adult should minimally drink eight glasses a day of water. However, drinking water gets boring so most people prefer adding ingredients to it to boost flavor and the health benefits obtained. This mixture is known as “Detox water”. Alternatively, it is also known as fruit-flavored water or fruit-infused water. Research shows that detox water plays a big part with respect to detoxifying the body, speeding up weight loss, and even boosting the body’s energy levels. Below is an analysis that helps consumers differentiate between the truth and the myths with respect to detox water.
What Is Detox Water?
This is what that is infused with herbs, vegetables, or even fresh fruits. This easy to make detoxifying drink does not use blending or juicing. It contains very few calories making it the ideal drink for cleaning and quick weight loss. It is used as a replacement for high-sugar drinks like fruit juice and soda. To prepare it, dice the ingredients and add them to either cold or hot water. The more the diced ingredients, the richer the flavor will be. If you opt to use cold water then it will take longer for the ingredients to infuse, probably after between one to twelve hours. Remove the ingredients to prevent them from decomposing in the water. Speed up the process by crashing the diced ingredients.
Health Benefits of Detox Water
These benefits vary depending on the ingredients you infuse in the water. Research shows that these benefits are attributed to the water in the detoxifying agent.
- It speeds up weight loss – Water raises the body’s rate of metabolism by up to thirty percent per hour and allows the consumer to burn more calories. Research shows that drinking water before meals aids in up to forty percent weight. Additionally, drinking water creates a satiating feeling that reduces appetite and causes a person to consume less.
- Improves the digestive system – Hydration is beneficial to the digestive system and aids in regularizing bowel movement. Dehydration causes indigestion, constipation, and even bloating. Water aids in smoothing food movement through the gut.
- It boosts immunity – This is the most exaggerated claim with respect to detox water. It is dependent on consuming vegetables and fruits that are infused in the water. Citrus fruits contain vitamin C that has been known to boost the immune system through regular consumption. However, the nutrients present in the infusion are not enough to cause an immune boost. Thus, it is not likely that detox water could actually have the power to boost immunity.
- It improves mood and increases the body’s energy levels – Studies show that dehydration causes a significant reduction in concentration spans, mood, and can lead to headaches.
Common Myths about Detox Water
- Detoxifying or toxin removal – This is a common myth with respect to detox water. It is not clear which toxins this drink eliminates from the system. However, the body is perfectly capable of eliminating certain toxins naturally, however not those buried deep in your tissues (at least, without some assistance).
- It helps to balance the pH of the body – This myth is supported by the food alkanizing theory that supports the creation of an acid-alkaline environment in the body that is said to boost health.